Sunday Brunch at St. Regis Garden Court, Beijing.

It had been more than two years since I visited the St. Regis Garden Court for brunch. On the day that I booked, the restaurant was full, another sign that things are essentially back to normal in Beijing after a couple waves of COVID. It is always a wonderful feeling walking in to a brunch that is full. There is just such a great vibe. The brunch at Garden Court has been one of my favourites because of sentimental reasons - it was my first brunch in Beijing! However, I wanted to see how the brunch has managed to stay relevant in the face of so much competition in the city. At the end of brunch, four thoughts stayed with me.

1. Concept

A St. Regis brunch without an indulgent buffet would just not be St. Regis, right? Fans of the brand will not be disappointed. Executive Chef Amedeo Ferri has continued the tradition of a brunch that balances  a buffet with pass arounds. I have always been a proponent of pass arounds because they give brunches flexibility with highlighting certain dishes and also surprising guests. On the day I was there, Lobster thermidor and Pan seared foie gras were just two of the dishes served a spass arounds. 

The latter complimented a buffet that features David Herve oysters, one of my favourites because it allows a brunch to serve a quality oyster while at the same time being mindful of budget. They shuck beautifully and are rich in liquor. In addition, you can expect the usual seafood items that you would want at a brunch in this price range. I should mention the slow cooked brisket which I enjoyed in the garden. The beef effortlessly fell off the bone. Finally, the pizza! Chef Amedeo, who served as chef de cuisine a couple years ago in the hotel's then-Italian restaurant, has ensured that the Italian side of brunch here is a favourite. The pizza? Simple. Delicious. I would come back again for it. Although not made to order - this is a buffet brunch of course - it hit the right chord! On a personal note, what a pleasure it was seeing Chef Zhou again, whom I had not seen since 2019. Between him and Chef Amedeo, things are looking great. 




2. Service

This was probably the biggest improvement over my previous visit. The staff to guest ratio was much higher and staff were more aware of guests and constantly cleared plates without much prompting. It is clear that the brunch caters for local guests, so you might be challenged to connecting with staff if you do not speak Mandarin. However, there 2-3 staff who would be able to take care of you. I was thrilled to meet Kyrie again, a waiter whom I met three years ago when I first tried their brunch. He will be sure to take care of all your issues as his English is very good! Furthermore, restaurant manager, Mary Yang, confident and well spoken, has staff well drilled to ensure staff remain vigilant. 






3. The Garden

It is such a shame that only one other table was used outside. I think it has  a lot to do with the market that the market serves. People, get outside! The terrace is absolutely gorgeous and I would like to see its life extended by it opening up earlier. The window to use it is so narrow because f the weather. However, it has been unseasonably cooler than normal, meaning more and more people might have their brunch outside. As I sat outside sipping champagne, I noticed some work being done on a vegetable garden. Now, that excited me even more. My mind raced as I imagined a garden to table concept. That would be a first among 5*. hotels in the city. Hopefully that little patch of  garden is allowed to develop. I think it is a fabulous idea. 



4. Value for Money

This is one of the cheapest champagne brunches in the city. At 688 net, you will be hard pressed to find a better deal in the city. While there is one other brunch that is indeed cheaper, there is a vast difference in quality, making this brunch a potential go-to brunch because I am a self-confessed bubbly baby. On another note, the pricing is straight forward - 688 RMB with champagne and 588 RMB without it. For 588RMB, you are treated to red and white wine, beer, soft drinks and even sparkling wine. Personally,  I find it frustrating when restaurants have 3 or 4 packages and the wine is sold separately, while tax still has to be added. Keep it simple I say. Nicely done here with the pricing for value for money's sake and also making the guest's billing experience simpler. By the way, the pricing has not increased since I was here in 2019. Kudos to the hotel for this. 


Verdict and looking ahead

Really happy with this brunch. I have been looking for a sub-700RMB brunch that delivers and I think this is it. I am invariably drawn to hotel brunches and the Garden Court brunch will fill a void in this price range. There are some really nice touches like the pass arounds and even the DIY tiramisu but a note here: leave a sample on display or simple sequencing instructions to guide first timers. Secondly, if they can keep the pass arounds refreshed every month, that will be brilliant for regular guests, just to keep things exciting. Finally, I do miss the St. Regis Sabrage tradition. I recall a few years ago it was part of brunch. I would love to see it back. It is showmanship and theatre. Why not?

However, overall, I will be back. Tremendous value for a champagne brunch while offering some high quality buffet dishes makes it a must try brunch. 

Essentials

St. Regis Sunday Brunch
St. Regis Hotel
21 Jianguomen Sreet,
Jianwai DaJie,
Chaoyang,
Beijing
+86 10 64606688

Subway: Jianguomen Line 1 and 2, Exit B

Timing
Sundays 12h00-15h00

Packages
Mumm NV Champagne 688
Wine 588 (all net prices)



Brandon Stoltenkamp
I: bmstoltenkamp

Comments