Middle Eastern cuisine at Fish & Potato Co. in Tianjin

I am usually one who steers away from mall restaurants because they are often soulless. To be fair though, I have often been surprised on a few occasions when I encountered a restaurant in a mall that checked all the boxes. With this in mind, I recently tried Fish & Potato Co. in Galaxy Mall, Tianjin. 

Location
Galaxy Mall is huge, full of over-priced super luxury brands targeting the nouveau riche. Thankfully, the mall doe snot have a stuffy atmosphere thanks to the presence of regular stores for everyman. The mall is a 5 minute walk from a subway station. That is really convenient, especially for someone like me who uses the subway by default over taxis. Finally, an added plus for the restaurant's location is in a part of the mall that gives great views of the Cultural precinct through floor to ceiling windows



Evolution of a restaurant

When the restaurant made its debut a few years ago, it was renowned for its authentic fish and chips. In fact, as you approach the restaurant you can see sea anemone designs above the entrance, reflecting its seafood heritage. While my my big take away - pun intended - from my visit was its Middle Eastern offerings on the menu, make no mistake that the menu offers a really eclectic mix of dishes. Even here, there is something special about the dishes. You will, for instance, also find Entrecote ribeye steak with Herb Butter, Confit duck Leg, and Grilled Arctic char! The menu is really an exciting one that warrants several visits. 

Middle Eastern iconography

A very open layout creates an airy feel, with a lot of natural light in evidence

My dishes

I thought I would start out with some mezze, which are basically Arabic appetisers. I ordered hummus, a thick pasty dish made from grounded chick peas, tahini and other ingredients,  baba ganoush which is  a mashed eggplant dish and muhammara. The latter consists of roasted red peppers and walnuts. I had these with  a generously sized piece of Arabic bread and some of the best olives I have had in a while. In the end, this was my meal. Those appetisers are quite substantial. While the muhammara is a work in progress, I must say that the other two mezze were bang on target in terms of flavours and textures. 

To drink, I had a bottle of  La Delizia Prosecco, Extra Dry. I feared that despite the label it would be too sweet - the Chinese market has been flooded with some really bad Prosecco offerings. However, this was a pleasant surprise and lived up to its label. Incidentally, all wines are 138 RMB, making it simple for the guest.


Baba Ganoush



As a final treat, Humphrey, the very amicable and approachable owner, allowed me to try an item that is not on the menu yet. Kunafeh (kunafa / kanafeh)! Oh, it is close to perfect. The key for me is the phyllo pastry and cheese - the former must be crispy while the latter should have that stretchy quality. Check. Check.  It is a real treat and for a moment, I was back in Amman, Jordan where I had the best kunafeh I have ever had. As for my Fish & Potato kunafeh, an already very good dessert will be elevated to excellent with a minor tweak - I have shared my thoughts with Humphrey regarding this.  



Verdict

I love it! I spent 10 years in The Middle East and there are times when I crave some quintessential dishes from the region and I have now found a place that can satisfy that craving. There is something very authentic about some of the dishes I had and  I eagerly await my next visit so I can continue exploring their other dishes. Of course, the menu offers more than just these dishes, but these are the dishes that will make me go back. Furthermore, the prices are fantastic. My bill came out to just under 250 RMB, including a bottle of Prosecco. Fish & Potato offers something unique on the dining scene here in Tianjin and with a knowledgable owner, exciting kitchen staff and great prices, this could well become my go-to restaurant in Tianjin. 


Essentials
Fish & Potato Co.
Galaxy Mall,
Leyuan Rd,
Nankai,
Tianjin
Tel: 02 283889077

Subway: Line 6, Leyuandao. 

Brandon Stoltenkamp
I: bmstoltenkamp












Comments