An Art Exhibition Curated by Zhang Liyuan, featuring Madeline Churchill - Binhai, Tianjin

 

Kudos to Curator Vivian (Zhang Liyuan) who had the vision to seek out the Rosewood Garden in Binhai, the latter being a sub-provincial district of Tianjin, to house the exhibition. From the moment you step into the venue, you are aware of the elements of life. I came in through the entrance that allowed me to experience this - the sound of babbling water, wood, green and stone dominate. Once inside, pockets of space, ample seating options and bookshelves stocked with real books - if you have lived in this part of the world, you will appreciate this reference. My favourite book?  A Cezanne piece looking at the master's life and works. 





The venue really lends itself to intimate collections, with ample space to sit and have a cup of tea with fellow art lovers. It is warm and welcoming. 

Moving beyond the exhibition space, the outside garden is something to enjoy at any point in your visit, but I would say after the exhibition - get away from the chatter and sound of spoons in cups and experience the serene Reflective Garden, as I choose to call it. To use a clichĂ©, it is indeed very zen. In a world that is becoming more and more artificial, this little space is a wonderful foil. 



I was loathe to show some of pictures of the art works out of respect to the artist. As a non-professional photographer, I worried about messing up the colours. The images here are merely an artistic appetiser for an exhibition that runs throughout September 2021. Apologies to Madeline for the poor camera work. 

Art is of course very subjective, but I have always believed that it would be something special to inform the 'this is what it means to me' with an insight from the artist. I would have loved, for example, to sit down with TS Eliot and ask hm about some of his seminal poetic works. It was this in mind that I was so happy to see Madeline offer some annotations to accompany some of her work. For example, in her September series which refers to the time she created the works. I love this for two reasons. Firstly, after looking at the series, I formulated in my mind what was depicted, or 'what it meant to me'. I then looked at her annotation and compared notes. It makes for a very interactive experience. Secondly, it serves to educate. Art is not only for the knowledgable. It is also for those who like a painting but do not have the terminology to explain why. For some of us, our appreciation is basic, but still very real. 








When it comes to children and art exhibitions, it is a tough one. On the one hand, getting them exposed to art at an early age is what many parents would like to do, but there is a caveat to this - children must be ready, and there is no set age for this. There is also the very real issue of absent parenting and supervision which can ruin the experience for many. I am pleased to note that the gallery had a little children's area where they could draw and colour, while interacting with other children. Great idea! Lastly, in a scene reminiscent of my own daughter when she was 7, I saw a little girl on her own, quietly having a piece of cake while mummy went to get tea. overall, the family-friendly nature of the venue cannot be overlooked. 



As I left the exhibition, I reflected on what it must take to put together an event like this. As visitors of a gallery or museum, however long we spend taking it in, the time pales in comparison to the behind-the-scenes work done by both artist and curator. Having just moved to Tianjin, I am really encouraged by what I have seen in terms of Arts and Culture and this exhibition served as a wonderful window to the world of possibilities. As long as we have passionate curators like Vivian and artists like Madeline who are willing to take on a world that is becoming more and more digital - the paint brush and canvas are in safe hands. 


Details of the artist

Madeline Churchill
Head of Art
Wellington College International, Tianjin




Brandon Stoltenkamp
I am restaurant, champagne and hotel blogger living in Tianjin.
I: bmstoltenkamp
Mitsukiemma.com



Comments