Hotel Stay - Media Rotana, Dubai

As I walk into Media Rotana there is an immediate warmth I feel. A friendly greeting at the door and the orchid arrangements in the lobby make you feel that warmth. While the check-in desk is busy, I am offered a seat and a drink. While I decline, I am impressed. When I check-in a couple minutes later, it is smooth and I make way up to my room.

Warm, inviting lobby.


The room
The hotel has 396 rooms and suites, including club rooms. On this occasion, I am staying in a Premium room.The room itself is quite spacious. The sofa and sofa seat at the window is an added bonus and does not detract from the spaciousness. It is space really well managed. I have a look at the bathroom and see a separate bath and shower. Premium L'occitane bath products in the bathroom illustrate the hotel's commitment to making the Premium room experience something special.



Spacious room.

Restaurants
Media Rotana has five F&B outlets: Channels, Prego's, Nelson's, The Terrace and Connexions. Channels, the all-day dining restaurant, has theme nights every night and Saturday brunch. I had very enjoyable experiences at breakfast and Saturday brunch. You can read the review here.

http://bit.ly/1qsmuns

View from Channels
Part of the brunch spread at Channels
Nelson's is the hotel's British style pub, and while I did not visit them, I understand they do a Friday brunch too. The Terrace is a pool restaurant/bar and Connexions is the lobby lounge. Finally, Prego's is the hotel's Italian restaurant. I had dinner here on my 1 night stay. You can read my review of a visit I made a month ago:

http://bit.ly/UIph2F
Be that as it may,  on this occasion I had the pleasure of meeting the chef. Having had a long day, I asked Chef Daniele to prepare something for me. He offers to do a degustation dinner. While not on the menu, this is the sort of flexibility I welcome in chefs. There are those days when guests simply want to try something different, and this is what I am offered. In the degustation, there are some superb dishes: the Lobster bisque soup and the Gnocchi with crab meat. However, the dish that really makes my evening is the Grilled Chilean sea bass. What a  dish.

The sea bass just dissolved in my mouth, notwithstanding it has a beautiful firmness. It was almost creamy as I bit into it. That is how moist it was. Asparagus, artichokes, tomato and red wine reduction only served to enhance the dish. Fabulous dining experience. I have often said that a chef and the waiting staff are why people return to a venue. It was a very personalised evening, and treat being able to see Chef Daniele's creative energy.

The unbelievable delicious Sea bass at Prego's
Recreation
I had the pleasure of visiting Bodylines. It boasts a fully equipped gym as well as sauna, jacuzzi and steam room. To top it all off, I had an aromatherapy massage. There is more than enough here to give you the relaxation you are hankering for, including an outdoor swimming pool.
Fully equipped gym at Bodylines.
The pool and Terrace below



Service
This was one of the highlights for me, from the moment I arrived. The hotel industry is a tough place for workers, but to find people who consistently smile and have a melody in their voice when they interact with you is really appreciated. There seems to be a great deal of time spent on staff development in this area.


Verdict
Media Rotana is fabulous city hotel which is more than just a  business hotel. In fact, it is the kind of place I would gladly bring my daughter. The flipper's Kids' Club brings an added attraction to kids staying at the hotel. In terms of location there may not be much around, but a mere 10 minute walk and you are at the metro station. Furthermore, access from Sheikh Zayed Road is so easy, even for someone like me who has very little direction sense.

Highly recommended, especially considering the reasonable rates in a city where hotel rates average among the highest in the world.

The low down

Media Rotana,
Dubai
971 4 435 0000
http://bit.ly/1q3Da5W
Rates vary
                                                                                                                  Pictures thanks to Nokia Creative Studio on my Nokia 1520
Brandon Stoltenkamp












Comments