Burgers & Châteaux at the only wine bar in the city - La Cava, Rosewood Hotel, Abu Dhbai


The only wine bar in the city, La Cava at Rosewood Hotel, remains an enigma because four years on, no one has tried to copy its concept. I am surprised that we have only one wine bar in the city but I am also pleased that the one we do have is La Cava (Note there is a new wine bar opening in the city 1st quarter of 2018) 

It has become less intimidating to guests thanks to exciting promotions that has allowed it to shed its 'expensive' tag. One of the promotions I am thrilled is back, is Burgers & Chateaux, in which burgers are offered with some Chateau wines.

If you have not been to La Cava, you will fall in love with it the moment you walk down the spiralling staircase. This dimly lit venue is supposed to resemble a cave, hence the name 'La Cava' - Every time I visit La Cava, I ask myself, 'How did they know how much dim lighting would work?' In truth, it is just perfect. The lighting lends an air of sophistication to the venue. 








La Cava offers three burgers, including a vegetarian Portobello mushroom burger and of course an Australian wagyu burger, served with fries on the side. You can match your choice with two glass of wine, be that white or red. I have always been enamoured by opposites, so the idea of a glass of wine with a premium burger sits very well with me. 



A most welcome addition to an already excellent venue, is a fine selection of single malts and cognacs that complement what La Cava offers in the private but open to all cigar room. One of the highlights is the the 'I have a dream'-worthy Louis XIII Cognac by Remy Martin. On the night, I am happy to settle for a Remy Martin XO - I need to work harder! I think they have made very good use of the space and is an alternative to the private room where they used to house all their single malts. Incidentally, La Cava is smoke free, except for the cigar room, something that I as a non-smoker have welcomed time and again. 


La Cava remains a bit of an enigma and that is its strength. We need more venues not overrun by crowds simply hunting a bargain. I want a bar where I can go in and not be overwhelmed by smoke and loud music. It is also great knowing there are bars out there where the Ladies' Night sign never goes up. There remains a purity and innocence about La Cava despite its growing popularity. It befuddles my mind, though, how many people, including  sommeliers-in-training at other properties still do not know that La Cava exists, something that may not be great for business but is good news for guests. Finally, in these dirham-pinching times, 180AED net is a great bargain for an evening out in an establishment such as La Cava, a venue that you cannot help but return to again and again. 


The Essentials

La Cava

Rosewood Hotel, Abu Dhabi
La Cava
+971 2 813 5573

Burgers & Châteaux
Tuesday evenings 6-10pm

Comments