A most lavish brunch - The Ritz Carlton, Beijing

Brunch is a joyful occasion. It is fun. But it should also offer an elaborate spread of dishes while the drinks flow as if Bacchus himself is the serving us. I want brunch to be in a fine, elaborate  setting where for 3 hours and a bit, I feel like a prince and I am surrounded by princes and princesses who are all escaping the reality of life for this short time and experience...joy. This pretty much describes my recent visit to The Ritz Carlton Beijing brunch in its all-day dining restaurant, Aroma.  


Concept

Classic Brunch that took me back to my days in Dubai - opulent with attention paid to quality of ingredients. You can expect generous sized Australian lobster that is rich and 'meaty',  cooked to your taste. Also, the sashimi station is excellent, with so many choices. You can expect more than the usual salmon and tuna offerings you find at many brunches. Coupled to sushi, this is a station worth visiting again and again. In addition, Beef Wellington with Australian beef tenderloin and Norwegian salmon are of the other highlights.  Also highly recommended is the chocolate fountain! But make sure to try some fabulous Chinese dishes - I loved the Hainan chicken. 



Drinks

This is such a big part of my idea of the classic hotel brunch. I have long been a  fan of cocktails at a brunch because they bring something different. There has to be more at a brunch than the usual Chilean wine offerings. I opted to upgrade to the champagne package. Perrier Jouët Brut NV has become  a go-to option in Beijing because it offers hotels decent value for their RMB and also gives the guests a classy champagne that is affordable. Furthermore, I was excited about the Gin and Tonic station. I would imagine they rotate cocktails. I am looking forward to an Aperol Spritz in future visits. Lastly, for wine drinkers, there is a choice of red and white and if you want to have it bubbly without forking out an extra 300 RMB for the champagne, there is an Australian sparkling wine. 



Pass-arounds

The problem with a buffet generally, other than what it looks like after 2 hours, is that the wow element disappears after you have walked around to plan what you will have. The thing is that the surprises are gone. However, with pass-arounds, you still have those OMG moments. While these can be hit and miss, on my visit, it was excellent. Beautiful scallops cooked Chinese style, still in the shell, short rib and gorgeous Iberico ham with green melon. This as a concept that works on numerous levels. In addition to the surprise element, there is interaction with chefs and of course theatre as you watch chefs plate your dish in front of you. How do you make something that works well even better? I would suggest a bit more time between pass-arounds. I was just about finishing one when the next came. 




Entertainment

The Ritz Carlton brunch very much has a family focus, but do not expect kids running around - this can be so off-putting. With a very adept magician, it helps knowing kids are entertained. I even spotted a clown. However, I went to brunch by myself and the musical duo that performs at the brunch kept me entertained too, with a generous set, offering everything from jazz to Canto and Mandarin pop. The old cliché that there is something for everyone is so true here. 



Service

Service is eager without being obsequious. Good service, I believe starts before you arrive at a hotel or restaurant. This is what I experienced when I made my booking. My reservation was ably and warmly handled by a young lady named Jessica. This is something that is often overlooked and thanks to Jessica, I arrived at the restaurant with a feeling of already being welcome. On the floor, service continued through inviting smiles, drink top ups. Classic Ritz service by their "ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen.

Verdict

A must-add brunch to your Beijing list. It is a lavish brunch that checks all the boxes - creativity, freshness and quality of ingredients, high staff to guest ratio, variety, attentive service...I could go on. You simply need to try it. There is something magical about the Ritz, so just arriving at the hotel already elevates the experience. The Ritz and their Aroma brunch - the best of both worlds as you are taken away from the stresses of every day life and you are crowned prince or princess for 3 and half hours. 

The lowdown

The Ritz Carlton Beijing                                                                                                                    Aroma restaurant                                                                                                                             The Ritz                                                                                                                                    

Tel: +86 10 59088888                              

588-688 RMB depending on promotions, 888RMB for the Champagne package

Brandon Stoltenkamp




Comments