Vivian Zhang exhibits Chen Chen in an exciting venue.

The thing I love most about Vivian Zhang is her penchant for getting art lovers in Tianjin to re-evaluate the whole 'art in a gallery' concept. It is something I touched on in her last curatorship effort when she made use of containers Vivian's Last Exhibition For her latest exhibition, Vivian uses W+Space, a luxury Clothing and Accessory destination adjacent to the Conrad Hotel in Tianjin to exhibit the work of Tianjin favourite, Chen Chen.  

The entrance to W+Space is like stepping onto the set of Kubrik's 2001 Space Odyssey - it is very modern, almost clinical. A digital display with some of Chen Chen's images makes me wish I had come after sunset to appreciate the venue even more, but I am told she will be using this space for at least a year, so I don't fret. 

The obvious high point of the layout is a spiralling staircase that leads to the second floor where there are a couple of clothing stores, high end hair salon and an inviting lobby area that screams 'Art, wine, bubbles  and cocktails' to me - I see such wonderful possibilities. On that note, I am disappointed that the bar is not used. I visited on another occasion when it was again not used. Art, wine, bubbles  and cocktails!



Chen Chen, born and raised in Tianjin, creates work that I can only describe as a reflection in many ways of what it is like to be from Tianjin. Of course, his works that reference the Year of the Tiger have more national appeal, but there are some works that clearly have a Tianjin sensibility in mind. This is evidenced in his work capturing  a favourtite Tianjin dish or a car that only 'Tianjin-ren' will look at, smile and go, "Ah, I get it". Overall, there is a playfulness about his works, but  also a metaphorical at times. 


Art, as I have said in previous posts, should not be the domain of only artists, quasi-intellectuals or those referred to in Eliot's "Love song of J. Alfred Prufrock' when he writes, 'In the room the women come and go, talking of Michelangelo' - On the contrary, it should be for anyone with an eye for beauty. In other words, it should be inclusive rather exclusive. Along these lines, it is nice walking through an exhibition where I see pieces I can actually afford. Granted, the medium of the work is not the same as say paint on canvas, but nonetheless, I appreciate the accessible prices of the works on display. 


With a space. she can call home for the next year, I am so keen to see how Vivian and the owners of W+Space maximise the potential of this venue as she reaches a different visitor - stop by for some window shopping or walk out with a designer piece of clothing, have a glass of bubbly and indulge in some art at the same time,  or simply stop by for and get your aesthetic art fix before heading to The Conrad for tea. I love it. Whatever she decides to do, I am quite sure I will be first in line to see it. 



Brandon Stoltenkamp
Restaurant and Hotel blogger
Director of the Culture Centre, Macduffie School Tianjin. 




Comments