Pizza Bianca, a growing institution in Tianjin, China

Pizza Bianca is indeed somewhat of an institution in Tianjin, having garnered a reputation for serving decent Italian dishes at fantastic prices. With three different locations to choose from, I visited their Minyuan branch. The first thing that made me go, "Oh, nice" as I walked in was the lighting - even at 12 noon, the lighting was low key, making me feel I was not at some typical Italian chain. The restaurant really has some surprising aesthetic appeal, with wood, steel and stone immediately noticeable. Make no mistake though, there is a cosiness about the restaurant, no doubt aided by its limited capacity of about 60-70 diners. It makes for a fairly intimate dining experience. 


On the menu you will find a selection of typical Italian dishes, all which are very well priced. Also expect to see some of the cheapest pizzas you will find, even undercutting typical pizza chains. Value for money is the unofficial mantra here. I started with a board of anti-pasti cold cuts, which I enjoyed with a bottle of Spumante. In retrospect I should have stayed with the Prosecco, an option I have enjoyed at Pizza Bianca's sister restaurant,  Fish & Potato Co. Their 138RMB Prosecco, La Delizia  Extra Dry, offers tremendous return for your dollar. 




For my main I had the truffle home made pasta, not on the menu, but when the owner Humphrey is around, speak to him if you have specific tastes and he will create a dish to your liking; he is very approachable and warm-hearted. 


Pizza Bianca offers a warm atmosphere in which to have some really well priced Italian dishes while enjoying equally nicely priced wine. While the cocktails remain a work in progress, I think you will be more than happy with everything else!


I ended my visit to Pizza Bianca with some gelato, one of a few Italian classic desserts on the menu. It had been a while since I had gelato and I was not disappointed. I am, though, looking forward to their tiramisu on my next visit!

Overall, with great prices, a warm setting and friendly service under manager Qiaoling who leads by example, I can see why this establishment is so popular with locals and foreigners alike. 


Essentials

Pizza Bianca
83Chongqing Ave, 
Heping (Minyuan Branch)
+86 22 83122728
Budget: 200-250 RMB incl a couple glasses of wine. 
A pizza and a glass of wine - 100-120 RMB

(There are a couple other branches including Galaxy Mall)

Brandon Stoltenkamp

Comments