The Shangri-La Hotel, Dalian - your oasis in a growing city.



I recently visited Dalian where I stayed at the Shangri-la hotel. The lobby is what you want from a Shangri-la with its high ceiling, opulent lighting fixtures and floor to ceiling windows. The latter provide gorgeous views of the mini koi pond, a symbol of tranquility at the hotel. After taking this all in, I made my way to the Horizon Club Lounge in the 25th floor where I checked in. 


My Room

My room,  a Horizon Club room on the 27th of 28 floors, affords great views of the city, especially at night when the sun goes down and the lights come on. While 40 SQM is fairly standard for a Shangri-la club room, what impressed me about the room was the smart use of space, as illustrated by the corner sofa which gives the room  a real homely feel. On a day of sightseeing, it became my little spot of heaven. As far as the bathroom goes, if you are familiar with the Shangri-la brand then you know what to expect, with L'Occitane bath products ensuring  a relaxing bath. Incidentally, while I did not make use of it, there is also a separate and generously-sized shower. 



Club Lounge

The City

Dalian is a fairly good city for walking but if you are not up to it, hop on a bus - there is a bus stop a mere 5 minutes away from the hotel and the buses will take you to pretty much any where of interest in the city centre. Another option is a taxi - they are really cheap. Incidentally, a flat fare of 10-11 yuan will see you go to Dalian train station from the hotel. I did both. It is hard not to love the architecture and while, sadly, quite a few buildings of yesteryear have been demolished in the name of growth and development, there are still countless signs of the city's colonial past. Walk around the city and take in its Russian past, for example. Make it a point of visiting Russian street. The hotel concierge can help you with the Chinese but it too, is within the city centre. 



There is, of course, also evidence of imperialist Japan's architectural and urban planning left-overs. The hotel's central location means you will have an architectural feast around you. Incidentally there are also a number of churches in Dalian that are quite beautiful. One night while walking, I came across the Dalian Anglican church! I would say you should walk and walk and just discover. When tired, hop on a bus or in a taxi and continue discovering. 





Modern Dalian

There was something incredibly comforting after a day or night out walking and exploring the city - that was knowing that waiting for me was my room at the hotel. One particular pleasure was returning early evening to discover that housekeeping had turned down my room! I love an unsolicited turn-down service. The second pleasure was undoubtedly soaking in the deep bath tub, sipping on a glass of bubbly or a Negroni. 
Beautiful terrace dining at the hotel
Green Dalian

When I say Dalian is quite green, I mean that. A mere 20-25 mins from the hotel is the Jinshitan Scenic area - a very relaxed taxi drive. This is a must on your visit. From the pictures taken - no filter - you can appreciate what I mean when I talk about the green! On the day I was there, it was overcast and there was a Wordsworthian romance about it all. This alone made the trip from Zhuozhou, Hebei terribly worth while. While I am a city boy who loved glass and steel, I would be stone were I not moved by the greenery. As I walked under a canopy of green, I could not help but miss Johannesburg, my home town, which has one of the largest made made urban forests in the world. It was a wonderful moment where memory met the present - in Dalian! Bittersweet. 






The Sea!

This was really my reason for coming to Dalian. I had not been to the sea in almost 4 years. It was not so much about beaches, as it was simply about the sea. John Masefield's Sea Fever captured perfectly my feeling in the weeks running up to my trip:

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and the grey dawn breaking

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied,
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again.

Dalian has numerous beaches. During my 4 days, I visited 3. The first, in the Jinshitan Scenic Area, was simply a perfect experience. It was not about the beach. On the contrary, it was about Masefield's vision of the sea with its power and sensuality. That is precisely what I got. The beach, erroneously called Golden Pebble Beach - you will see what I mean when you go - is a firm favourite with locals and visitors. Recommended. 





Over the next couple days I visited another two beaches - Bangchuidao and Xinghai Beach. All in all. the three beaches had this in common - the majesty of the sea was on display in all its glory. Breaking waves, the scent and taste of the sea, the visually arresting foam and joy on people's faces infused the beaches with   a beauty that transcended its Geo physical shortcomings. As I write this, I want to go back. 






The Club Lounge

The Club Lounge is situated on the 25th floor and is the ultimate haven from  a busy hotel. When I arrived, there was a conference at the hotel and the lobby was streaming with people. My choice of a club room with access to the lounge was easily vindicated, not that the lounge did not have its own issues - Happy hour is a big challenge for most club lounges in China in the Shangri-la portfolio when they are running close to 100% occupancy. 
Art work in the Club Lounge

Nonetheless, there were some outstanding elements during my 4-night stay. I think various chefs on duty did a marvellous job on so many levels. Sometimes guests think that paying extra for a club room transforms the club lounge into a restaurant and are quite demanding. I think the chefs did really well in dealing with this attitude of numerous guests. This is the only Shangri-la club lounge I have been to in the past 2 years where there is an element of live cooking. The dumplings and noodles gave Happy Hour a unique quality. Well done!

Then, breakfast. The lounge offers an exceptional breakfast  menu to supplement the mini breakfast buffet. Staff just need to be consistent about handing the menu to guests. It was quite by chance that I saw the menu on a shelf on my second morning. Be that as it may, on my last two mornings I had the Japanese breakfast, including low temperature egg, grilled fish and natto! 

This limited menu shows that quality beats quantity - After all, guests have the option of having a larger buffet at the hotel's all-day-dining restaurant. 






Verdict

It is hard to divorce a visit to the Shangri-La Dalian from the city's fabric. The hotel is one of the oldest 5* properties in the city and that means it has seen how the city has transformed itself, while remain a constant in the changes. The hotel has aged well and rooms and facilities are up there with anything new, with all the amenities you would need. I think it is a perfect base from which to explore the city. It offers affordable luxury that provides wonderful respite from the bustling travellers that flock to the beaches and city's attractions. I definitely need more time because I hardly explored the hotel's spa! I know I will be back at the Shangri-la Dalian when I hear the call of the sea. 



Details

Shangri-la Hotel,
66 Ren Min Lu,
Zhongshan Qu,
Dalian,
Liaoning
China.
Tel: +86 411 8252 5000

Brandon Stoltenkamp


Comments