Hotel stay - Novotel Al Bustan, Abu Dhabi

The Novotel Hotel on Airport Road is part of the Al Bustan Complex. It is a business hotel that offers 361 hotel rooms and suites. I recently had the pleasure of spending a night.

Location
My initial impression was that I liked the location. It is not in the downtown area, therefore you lose that convenience. However, in terms of the bigger picture, I find it convenient. It is within 5-10 minutes of the embassies, ADNEC, a 24-hour convenience store and fast food take away at the ADNOC, Carrefour and Mushriff Mall. Furthermore, it is in a  residential area which means it is quiet compared to the hustle and bustle of downtown. Finally, no traffic issues as it is just off Airport Road. So yes,  even on reflection, I like the location.

Bright and full of light. 
The corridors are very calming with earthy tones and black and white prints.
Check-in
The lobby is very fresh and light thanks to floor to ceiling glass windows. White dominates the lobby, but there is a dash of colour here and there to ensure that it is not sterile. That word fresh again. Check- in was effortless. After 6 minutes, I was on my way to my Superior room.

The room
At 30 Sqm the room is not big, but for a business hotel it is standard. However, I do not feel cramped at all and space is used very well. Large windows give views of this part of the city and the sofa is a welcome touch. Comfortable. I connect to the wireless. Works like a charm. The room, like the rest of the hotel, is vibrant and cheerful. A check of the bathroom pleases me - there is a separate walk-in rain shower.



A variety of functional in-house toiletries. I liked the shower gel in particular.
Relaxation
After unwinding, I try their In Balance facility. This is Novotel's trademark fitness and relaxation offering. There is a gym, which I forego because, well, I am too lazy. I go to the pool and am impressed - a 27m pool that is great for  laps. Wow. Very nice indeed. There is a jacuzzi and bar, although the latter is closed because of Ramadan. Finally, there is a children's pool too, under a shaded area. Very sensitive, I think to myself. After a while, I go back in and spend a bit of time in the sauna and then the steam room. Not a bad way to spend the afternoon, I reflect. Not a bad way at all.

The views are quite stunning. 
27m allowing for lap swimming. 
On returning to my room, I have some issues with a leaking tap, which can happen. However, it is the way it is dealt with that makes an impression. Within 5 minutes there is a plumber in my room fixing the issue. Within another 5 minutes someone from housekeeping is in the room mopping up. Brilliant. Hotel stays are not about perfection - they are about dealing with the imperfections which sometimes happen.

Kids club
While essentially a  business hotel, there is a very nice kids room on the first floor if you happend be with your children. While room for a few more fun things, for kids, it is a nice idea. There were some building blocks and some Diary of a Wimpy Kid books as well as  a TV with kids channel on it. I  think about my daughter and know that she will love this.

The kids play room
Books for kids - very nice. I would like to see more books next time.
Restaurants

The hotel boasts 6 Food and beverage outlets, but some are closed for Ramadan. However, I have the good fortune of trying 2 of their other outlets.

For dinner I go to Novotel's steak house, Choice Cut. It sets out to close the gap that exists between high end steak houses and mall restaurants offering beefy options. Overall I think they have a nice product, and a much needed market filler.

You can find  a complete review here: http://bit.ly/1km3PXY


The Australian Wagyu at Choice Cut.
Breakfast is served at Pepper, their all day dining restaurant. It checks all the boxes and has everything one would realistically want at breakfast. There is an omelette station where eggs are made to your liking as well as your usual favorites: pancakes, waffles,  a selection of cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, juices and so on.


By the time  I checked out after some more time in the sauna and steam room, I was really pleased with my stay. The location, service and the dining options available to me, showed me that Novotel Al Bustan delivered in all ways, and let's not forget that they have some impressive conference and banqueting facilities. It is more than just functional; more than just a bed to sleep in at night. It felt more than a business hotel because of the people who work there. That is why I would gladly go back.


The low down

Novotel Al Bustan (Airport Road)
02 5016444
Map: http://bit.ly/VK5zFi

Room rates are seasonal.
Hotel website: http://bit.ly/1qFdH6H
Brandon Stoltenkamp


Comments